Defining the position in the external and internal competitive environment is important for the development of an Academic Policy.
1. The IEC has good prerequisites for entering the world educational space. Educational activities, scientific and creative work of teachers and students are highly appreciated by universities in Germany, Japan, South Korea, Russia, Bulgaria, Poland, Italy, Spain, the Czech Republic, Turkey, Lithuania, China, and other countries.
Teachers, staff, and students of the University take an active part in international research and educational programs, creative exhibitions, and competitions, in the activities of international organizations and centers.
Cooperation agreements with Erfurt University of Applied Sciences (Germany), EBZ Business School GmbH (Germany), Modern Education and Research Institute (Belgium), University "La Sapienza" (Italy), Polytechnic University of Bari (Italy), University of Florence (Italy), Polytechnic University of Valencia (Spain), International University of Catalonia in Barcelona (Spain), Budapest University of Technology and Economics (Hungary), University of West Hungary, Budapest Metropolitan University (Hungary), Lublin University of Technology (Poland), Bialystok University of Technology (Poland), Czestochowa University of Technology (Poland), Cracow University of Technology (Poland), Sofia University of Architecture, Construction and Geodesy (Bulgaria), Varna Free University "Chernorizets Hrabar" (Bulgaria), Kaunas College of Technology (Lithuania), Vilnius College of Technology and Design (Lithuania), Riga Technical University (Latvia), Estonian Academy of Arts, Institute of Technology and Business in Ceskebudejovice (Prague), Gerge Asaki Technical University of Iasi (Romania), Ariel University (Israel), Yildiz Technical University (Turkey), Alanya Alaaddin Keykubat University (Turkey), Akdeniz University (Turkey), Sakarya University (Turkey), Kastamonu University (Turkey), Seoul University (South Korea), Dong-A University College of Engineering (South Korea), Korea National Transport University (South Korea), Saga University (Japan), Hachinohe Institute of Technology (Japan), Changgang University (PRC) and other leading universities from the Commonwealth of Independent States.
The IEC is among the leading architectural and artistic international associations and foundations, among which are the Association of Construction Universities of the CIS (ASU, Moscow), the International Association of Organizations for Architectural Education (IAOAE, Moscow), the Romualdo Del Bianco Foundation (Florence, Italy), the Union of Architects and Engineers of the Turkic World (Turkey), the Association of American Colleges and Universities (USA), etc. In September 2010 the IEC signed the Great Charter of Universities (Magna Charta Universitatum).
According to the rating of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, it occupies a leading position in the group of specialties of architectural, design, and construction profiles. According to the NCAOKA, the IEC belongs to the group of the 9 most prestigious multidisciplinary universities in Kazakhstan.
The high place of the IEC in the ratings of the challenge of Kazakhstan is due to a number of circumstances. The University is a leader in the country in implementing a regional multi-level system of training professionals in the field of creativity - architects and designers. Actively influences the content of architectural and art education in Kazakhstan through activities in relevant educational and methodological associations, the development of new state educational standards. For the first time in the country, it trains specialists in innovative programs at the intersection of architecture and economics, architecture and computer science. She was the first among technical universities to introduce a rating system for assessing the quality of students' knowledge.
The IEC is the center of architectural and art education, science, and art in Kazakhstan. It has a favorable geopolitical position: it is located at the border of Europe and Asia, in Almaty as the focus of economic, cultural, and other relations between East and West.
Along with the competitive advantages of the university's positioning in the external environment, there are a number of threats that need to be taken into account:
1) displacement of the university from the market of professional educational, design, and creative services by companies created by talented graduates of the university itself;
2) Crisis and instability in the economy, causing the necessity to change the development priorities
3) the globalization of education and increased competition of higher education institutions
4) Weakening of employers' interest due to changes in the labor market.
2. The internal environment of the IEC is characterized by certain competitive advantages and opportunities, corporate values, features of the organization of management, and economic relations.
The internal environment of the university has the following main competitive advantages and opportunities:
- implementation of a wide range of basic and additional training programs for architects, designers, builders, technologists, economic managers, surveyors, journalists, international experts, linguists, lawyers, etc.;
- high level of training of bachelors, masters, and doctors, creatively active personalities; - highly qualified personnel: more than 60% of teachers have academic degrees and titles, are members of creative unions, production workers with long work experience;
- high creative potential of teachers engaged in real design and construction; - intensive development and development of new technologies, including the technology of strategic planning in architecture and urban planning;
- implementation of the concept of the unity of professional education and upbringing, where a network of creative clubs and studios, construction teams, sports sections is successfully developing.
The IEC management system is based on the unity of administrative management and self-government (decisions of faculty collectives, councils, conferences, and seminars). Collective decision-making enhances the effectiveness of their implementation.
The IEC Strategic Plan provides for the improvement of the university's management system based on its implementation by a team of teachers, staff, and students.
Economic relations have seven main features:
1) Self-supporting services and opportunities for additional earnings are actively developing;
2) A significant amount of funds is allocated for salary subsidies, allowances for doctoral scholarships, and social protection of students;
3) The costs of students and teachers associated with participation in various competitions and exhibitions, as well as other events, compensate to a significant extent;
4) Financial support is provided for the activities of student self-government bodies and extracurricular work;
5) Funds are allocated in a significant amount for the repair and equipment of buildings and educational and laboratory complexes;
7) A fund has been created to stimulate the educational and methodological work of faculties and departments;
8) An extensive set of measures for the employment of students and graduates is being implemented.
At the same time, the internal environment is characterized by the following threats:
1) "aging" of the teaching staff of the university;
2) reduction of funds for the development of infrastructure and material and technical base in connection with the allocation of a significant part for the social protection of students and employees.For undergraduate/graduate students:
For undergraduate applicants:
- With a preliminary annual tuition fee before the due date (July 15) - 5% for one year of study;
- When paying for the education of 2 or more children from the same family – for each child 5% for the entire period of study;
- Graduates of affiliated educational institutions of the IEC, taking into account continuing education - 10% for the entire period of study;
- Children of employees, parents' work experience should be more than 1 year - 7% for the entire period of study;
- Especially gifted students who are unable to pay for their studies can apply for grants from the "Scholarships" corporation - from 50% to 100% for one semester;
- Students who actively participated in the IOC admissions committee - 50% for one year of study.
For Master's degree students:
- For the winners of the Olympiads "DA VINCI CODE" And "AMERICAN EDUCATION CHALLENGE" - 100% discount for the entire period of study;
- For the winners of the Olympiads "DA VINCI CODE" And "AMERICAN EDUCATION CHALLENGE" - 100% discount for 1.2 years of study;
- Participants of the Olympiad "AMERICAN EDUCATION CHALLENGE" - 10% for the first year of study;
- Applicants who have participated in the IOC preparatory courses for at least 3 months - 5% discount for the first year of study;
- For applicants for the full-time reduced form of education using distance learning technologies based on higher education (KAZGAS) - 250,000 KZT for one academic year;
- For applicants for the full-time reduced form of education using distance learning technologies based on higher education (KAU) - 290,000 KZT for one academic year;
- Discounts on UNT points - from 15% to 100% - for the first year of study.
- Graduates of other universities who have diplomas with 10% honors for the entire period of study;
- For full-time employees with at least 2 years of work experience in IEC educational institutions - 25% for the entire period of study.